- September 7th, 2018 at Kalamazoo College/Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership (Kalamazoo MI): Opening Reception during Art Hop
- August 7th, 2018 artist Caroline Wollard discusses her organizing practice with students from the OYO course at Ox-Bow School of Art.
- August 6th, 2018 at Kalamazoo College (Kalamazoo MI): During the exhibition at Arcus Center for Social Justice Leadership there was a poetry workshop led by Oliver Baez-Bendorf for students from the OYO course at Ox-Bow School of Art.
- July 29th-August 10th, 2018 Daniel Tucker and Dan S. Wang create a course based on Organize Your Own for Ox-Bow School of Art (Saugatuck, MI).
- January 14th, 2016 6pm at Kelly Writers House: Performances by Thomas Graves and Jennifer Kidwell, Frank Sherlock, Marissa Johnson-Valenzuela and Salem Collo-Julin. See video documentation here. (See detailed event description).
- January 15th, 2016 time & location TBA: Self-Determination archive how-&-tell by Brad Duncan.
- January 15th, 2016 6pm at Slought Foundation: “Original Rainbow Coalition” including: a screening of American Revolution 2 (1969) Co-Directed by Mike Gray and Howard Alk introduced by Hy Thurman. Panel Discussion: Jakobi Williams, James Tracy, Amy Sonnie, and moderated by Edward Onaci. Listen to audio documentation here. (See detailed event description).
- January 19th, 2016 6pm at Kelly Writers House: Rashayla Marie Brown and Amber Art and Design presentations. See video documentation here.
- February 13th, 2016 at Asian Arts Initiative: Falling In with Dan S. Wang and “Organize Your Own?” a panel on the work of four Asian American Socially-Engaged Artists: Dan S. Wang, Rosten Woo, Emily Chow Bluck and Aletheia Shin.
- March 3rd, 2016 5pm at The Averill and Bernard Leviton Gallery at Columbia College: Opening reception.
- March 5th, 2016 2pm at The Averill and Bernard Leviton Gallery at Columbia College: Artists Talk with participating artists: Amber Art & Design, Dave Pabellon, Mary Patten, Dan S. Wang, Works Progress with Jayanthi Kyle. Watch video documentation here.
- March 15th, 2016 6pm at The MCA Chicago: Organize Your Own? The discussion will start with a screening of an excerpt from the film American Revolution 2 (by the Film Group) and then proceed with a discussion about artists who are organizing in culturally and ethnically specific networks, including Eric J. Garcia, Nicole Marroquin, Maria Gaspar, moderated by artist and Organize Your Own publications editor Anthony Romero.
- April 6th, 2016 6pm at Stage 2, 618 S. Michigan 2nd floor – Columbia College Chicago: Panel discussion about the original Rainbow Coalition Featuring Mike James, Billy Che, Hy Thurman, Paul Seigel, and Antonio Lopez, moderated by Rebecca Zorach. RSVP on Facebook.
- April 8th, 2016 4pm-9pm in the Uptown Neighborhood: A walking tour of the Uptown neighborhood with Young Patriots Organization organizer Hy Thurman and special guests followed by a bluegrass concert at Carol’s Pub. Tour will meet 4pm at the front entrance of Target (4466 N Broadway St, Chicago, IL 60640). Drinks and concert will meet at Carol’s Pub (4659 N Clark St, Chicago, IL 60640). This will also serve as a release event for the Time of the Phoenix poetry books from Wooden Leg Print + Press. RSVP on Facebook.
- April 8th, 2016 at The Averill and Bernard Leviton Gallery at Columbia College: Dan S. Wang and theAsian American Cultural Affairs at Columbia College will host a discussion about Wang’s “Falling In” project for Organize Your Own.
- April 9th, 2016 2pm at The Averill and Bernard Leviton Gallery at Columbia College: Thread Makes Blanket (Philadelphia) will host a chapbook publication release and a performance of My Black Rupture (Marie Alarcón and Anna Martine Whitehead), and additional readings by Cynthia Dewi Oka and Roger Reeves. The event will be emceed by Marissa Johnson-Valenzuela of Thread Makes Blanket. RSVP on Facebook.
- September 23rd, 2016: Catalog released in Philadelphia at Slought. The event will include a panel with Mark Nowak, Marissa Johnson Valenzuela, Anthony Romero, Mariame Kaba, and Sam Goul and releases for Thread Makes Blanket and Society Editions publications developed as part of Organize Your Own. RSVP Here.
- Aug 25th, 2017 – Opening Reception At Augustana College Art Museum in Rock Island IL 5-7 p.m. Centennial Hall. There will be poetry reading (in collaboration with the Midwest Writing Center) at 6 pm.
- Aug 30th, 2017 – At Augustana College Art Museum – Rainbow Coalition Round Table, 7 p.m. Centennial Hall. This round table will feature members of the original Rainbow Coalition. Representatives from the Young Patriots, Young Lords, Rising up Angry, and the Black Panthers will talk about the Rainbow Coalition and how it connects to the present. Audio of this event here.
- September 28th, 2017 at Augustana College Art Museum – Women in the Black Panther Party + Young Lords: a Conversation, See Augustana Fall Symposium Day schedule for time and location.
- October 7th At Augustana College Art Museum Map the Power Workshop with Little Sis, 7 p.m. Gerber Center, Gävle Room 3. This workshop will teach participants about the importance of mapping power and money as part of an organizing agenda.
- Between November and December, 2017 Urban Institute for Contemporary Art (Grand Rapids, MI) hosted an opening reception on Nov 3rd, 2017. UICA worked with a local arts group The Cultura Collective on creating a site specific installation/mural that will be inspired by and accompany the exhibition, followed by a night talking about the how/why their collective exists and functions in West Michigan. Details on that 12/9/17 event here. They also worked with an interpretive dance group interested in creating dance and movement work that is responsive to works in the gallery and with a group of high school students on creating programming in the galleries that they would take back to their 5 different high schools/art clubs/communities to engage their peer groups.
- On January 18th, 2018 The Harold J Miossi Art Gallery at Cuesta College hosted an opening reception with a lecture by OYO artist Dan S. Wang. See the video here.
- On January 24th, 2018 Cuesta College hosted a screening American Revolution 2.
- April-May 2018 Texas State University Galleries will host a performance by Anthony Romero on April 30th, 2018; a performance by Jennifer Kidwell and Thomas Graves on May 1st and a screening of American Revolution 2. Details on these programs here.
Chicago Photos by Dakota Lecos and April Alonso, Philadelphia event photos by Paul Gargagliano: